One of the larger rooms in the Amor residence recently became available to me and my deceptively quiet lifestyle — I say this with a smile in my heart and a curse on my tongue because I am in fact an intense young man with big, big ideas and thus need to be so housed (Hehah! I’m back, fuckers!).
It’s taken a good week to achieve what I waaaaant to call a Semblance of Order? But let’s just say it’ll do for now. No, I am not building a fort around the desk… it’s just that the art books and some comics’ll have to be happy being piled up on the carpet until I can get a new shelf made. Or stolen. I know a guy who knows a guy. Maybe.
Work station’s set up smartly underneath air conditioner, sound blasters making the most of being cornered. Made sure she was settled in first so Ray Charles could keep me company as I migrated my shit. Somehow, “Georgia on My Mind” almost made it feel fun. Almost. Room’s got more windows, which is never a bad thing, seeing as how I’m spending more and more time indoors what with the projects piling up (Douche Alert!). Also not hurting me — the fact that the room is twice the size of the old one. Studio Hunger Pain was good to me… but this… I can get used to this. I also got stuck with a retardedly large bed. It’s pretty much a kingy — which is funny coz I am a tiny, tiny, unmarried boy — so there really isn’t a need for such generous beddage, unless the girlfriend finds a way to ninjarotically scale the balcony, which (and I shit you not) opens up to a pretty shallow view of the street.
So anyway yeah, as of this posting Fort Bastard is running at 90% capacity. The other 10% totally depends on whether or not the people who supposedly provide me with an internet service decide to help me out rather than just (a) reassure me with false hope; (b) continue giving me the runaround; or (c) hit on me. Apparently being a manchild with a semi-nasal baritone is shmexy. Who knew?
The transfer’s been generally good though. And I’m finally able to get caught up. The Euro comic thing is pretty much wrapped up, with some minor cleanups to take care of — cleavage enhancements and such. What. The Will Prince gig is steadily gaining some steam, with the page layouts all done and pretty much approved. But tomorrow I’m waking up, fixing up some coffee, and finishing JENNY STRANGE, god fucking damn it. Once and for all, period, end of discussion. Completely unhappy with the lag between the action sequence and the pitch’s denouement. We’ll see how it goes, I guess. And finally, Alex and I have landed this local gig where we design RPG-type creatures and all that fun stuff. I was a Magic: The Gathering nerd, so stuff like this is always good to unwind on. Doesn’t hurt that it pays, of course. Holla!
So yes… still busy. With the new studio, what I’ve found to be the biggest challenge is getting back into the right headspace of being relentlessly productive again. And yes, I know it’s really just a geographical change; but more often than not, are we not shaped by the spaces around us, after all? Finding that groove again though. It’s funny how, in freelance, you’re constantly thankful that you’re tired. But you keep moving, y’know? You pickaxe, claw, or tooth your way up that steep slope… but you keep moving. Don’t know if it was Bruce Lee or Spike Speagle, but hey… “Never stop moving. Remain in motion. Constant. Flowing. Think like fire. Be like water.”
Someone lent me Iron Fist trades.